Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs
The next course will start on Thursday October 24th, 2019, 7:45 til 9:00pm
The teacher is Padmasimha, who set up the yoga studio 20 years ago, and has been teaching the back course for the last 5 years.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE COURSE
- 12 weekly yoga classes lasting 1¼ hours taught over 3-4 months.
- An evidence-based, specific and specialised programme targeting lower back problems, approved by Arthritis Research UK, yoga associations and NICE.
- Initial telephone consultation with teacher to address any concerns. Registration Form completion. (These help the teacher to help you more.)
- Weekly sessions – initially teaching simple pain-relieving positions and strategies; progressing gradually with strengthening and stretching poses and movements, designed to improve flexibility, mobility and posture; breathing, mindfulness and relaxation techniques.
- Accompanied by comprehensive evidence-based book (student manual), 4-track Relaxation CD (Track 1 also available in App format), practice sheets to enable simple home practice.
- “ONCE OFF” course teaches you to look after your back condition for now and for the future.
- 15 hrs of supervised exercise, plus a book and yoga practice sheets, aims to teach you to help yourself forever (compare this to an average of just 4 individual sessions of 15-30 minutes with a physiotherapist / chiropractor that typically addresses just the acute/ immediate problem)
- Addresses other aspects that may be affecting your back problems e.g. joint and muscle pains, arthritis, stress, mood, anxiety, tension, return to work strategies.
- Taught in small group between 6 and 12.
- The latest evidence shows that you should exercise for improved physical and mental health. NICE suggests exercise ‘as a first step to managing back pain’.
- It’s enjoyable, and improves general well-being.
Who is it suitable for?:
- Those who want to learn to help themselves.
- Those who like the prospect of learning methods for “getting back control of their back condition”
- Those whose back pain has become chronic, e.g. persistent pain or pain that is there the majority of the time.
- Those whose back pain comes and goes (recurring/ episodic), e.g. several bouts each year. Don’t wait until your next episode of bad back pain – start now.
- Anyone prepared to commit to weekly classes, which teach you to incorporate some yoga skills into your daily life
What to Expect:
- No previous experience of yoga is necessary; but it can offer those with yoga experience more subtle knowledge of lifelong best practise methods (“optimum rather than maximum”).
- You will not be asked to do anything which your body or mind is not comfortable with.
- No complicated, challenging or advanced yoga.
Where, when and how to book?
- Courses held at the Cardiff yoga studio, entrance on Bedford Street, CF24 3BA.
- Every Thursday, 7:45pm till 9:00pm starting October 24th 2019
- £214 per student for 15 hours of supervised tuition in small groups (6-12 people), includes book, 4-track relaxations CD, home practice sheets, hand-outs, support. Concessions are available.
- £64 for Resource pack (Before Class 1)
- £75 for first block of 6 classes (Before Class 1)
- £75 for second block of 6 classes (Before Class 7)
The next course starts October 24th 2019.