Yoga for Healthy Lower Backs
The next course will start on Wednesday May 15th, 7:45 til 9:00pm
The teacher is Padmasimha, who set up the yoga studio 18 years ago.
INFORMATION FOR COURSE ATTENDEES:
- 12 weekly yoga classes lasting 1¼ hours taught over 3-4 months.
- An evidence-based, specific and specialised programme targeting lower back problems, approved by Arthritis Research UK, yoga associations and NICE.
- Initial telephone consultation with teacher to address any concerns. Registration Form completion. (These help the teacher to help you more.)
- Weekly sessions – initially teaching simple pain-relieving positions and strategies; progressing gradually with strengthening and stretching poses and movements, designed to improve flexibility, mobility and posture; breathing, mindfulness and relaxation techniques.
- Accompanied by comprehensive evidence-based book (student manual), 4-track Relaxation CD (Track 1 also available in App format), practice sheets to enable simple home practice.
- Learn life-long skills to help yourself to improved health and well-being.
- “ONCE OFF” course teaches you to look after your back condition for now and for the future.
- 15 hrs of supervised exercise, plus a book and yoga practice sheets, aims to teach you to help yourself forever (compare this to an average of just 4 individual sessions of 15-30 minutes with a physiotherapist / chiropractor that typically addresses just the acute/ immediate problem)
- Encourages positive long-term lifestyle and behavioural changes
- Addresses other ‘bio-psycho-social’ aspects that may be affecting your back problems e.g. joint and muscle pains, arthritis, stress, mood, anxiety, tension, return to work strategies.
- Taught in small groups (e.g. 6-12) by experienced, highly-trained, nationally-accredited yoga teachers.
- The latest evidence shows that you should exercise for improved physical and mental health. NICE suggests exercise ‘as a first step to managing back pain’.
- Make the switch from relying on others to being able to help yourself.
- It’s enjoyable and improves general well-being.
- After attending a 12-week course, participants had an average of 3.8 days days off work, compared to control group average of 12.3 days, i.e. a 70% decrease, suggesting they had learnt to lessen the frequency, duration and intensity of bad back pain episodes.
- Participants report a 63% improvement in their ability to “control and cope with their back pain on their own”.
- 60% of course participants were still practising 30-minute yoga sessions at home approximately twice a week, a year after beginning the course.
- The course is safe and significantly effective, as well as being cost-effective (for individuals, workplaces, society, NHS).
Who is it suitable for?:
- Those who want to learn to help themselves.
- Those who like the prospect of learning methods for “getting back control of their back condition”
- Those looking for a kind and gentle, person-centred approach.
- Those whose back pain has become chronic, e.g. persistent pain or pain that is there the majority of the time.
- Those whose back pain comes and goes (recurring/ episodic), e.g. several bouts each year. Don’t wait until your next episode of bad back pain – start now.
- Anyone prepared to commit to weekly classes, which teach you to incorporate some yoga skills into your daily life.
- Holistic approach – so particularly beneficial for those who have:-
- stress / emotional factors (which may be contributing to back pain experience)
- injuries or health conditions that prevent participation in other exercise or sports
- multiple conditions, e.g. headaches, hip replacement, high blood pressure (your teacher will show you modifications for maximum holistic benefit).
What to Expect:
- No previous experience of yoga is necessary; but it can offer those with yoga experience more subtle knowledge of lifelong best practise methods (“optimum rather than maximum”).
- You will not be asked to do anything which your body or mind is not comfortable with.
- Not just for fitness fanatics, i.e. it is suitable for people of all shapes, sizes and fitness levels! (but note that it can help fitness fanatics get back to their favourite sports!)
- Yoga is a philosophy (i.e. as well as helping your back pain, it can show a positive way of living, but it is not a religion)
- No complicated, challenging or advanced yoga, i.e. no Olympic gymnastics!
Where and When?:
- Courses held at the Cardiff yoga studio, entrance on Bedford Street, CF24.
- Every Wednesday, 7:45pm till 9:00pm; May 15th, 22nd & 29th; June 5th, 12th & 26th; July 3rd, 10th & 17th; Sept 11th, 18th & 25th
- £214 per student for 15 hours of supervised tuition in small groups (6-12 people), includes book, 4-track relaxations CD, home practice sheets, hand-outs, support.
- Payment instalments
- £64 for Resource pack (Before Class 1)
- £75 for first block of 6 classes (Before Class 1)
- £75 for second block of 6 classes (Before Class 7)
The next course starts May 15th 2019.